Updated on May 9th, 2018 at 07:46 pm
Information Your Milwaukee DUI Lawyer Will Obtain About Your Case
Depending on the specifics of your case, your Milwaukee DUI lawyer will obtain different forms of information to strengthen your defense against the state’s prosecution. Below are some examples of evidence that your Milwaukee DUI attorney might get other than facts pertinent to testing.
- The police report.
- Witness information.
- Information regarding all people with whom you interacted around and during the time of the arrest.
- Details related to the scene of your pull-over: the visibility in the area, the levelness of the area, whether the driving error you made is common in the area.
- Audio, such as recordings of police dispatches.
- Visual records, such as booking photos.
- A report from a mechanical inspection of the vehicle, in case there was something wrong with your car.
- If you had an accident, an accident report. If you had a very bad one, an accident reconstructionist’s report would also be good to obtain, as well as accident reports for other accidents that occurred in the area.
- Police reports made by the arresting officer other than the one pertaining to your case. If an officer has the habit of recording similar observations on all drunk driving reports, his or her credibility is diminished. Additionally, if the officer tends to ask or not ask certain questions in most of his or her cases and does the opposite in yours, that might be used by your Milwaukee DUI attorney to show that the officer’s perception in your case was skewed.
- Any and all exculpatory evidence.
- The criminal histories of you and any witnesses.
- Your entire driving history. Your Milwaukee DUI attorney needs to know everything about your driving record so that he or she can keep your point count in mind. If you take a plea bargain, you are considered convicted, which can mean a license suspension. If possible, your Milwaukee DUI lawyer will try to get a plea for you that does not include point accumulation.
There can be ways to ensure a good outcome for a DUI case without a plea bargain. A DUI is a very serious charge with consequences that could affect all other aspects of your life. To find out how you can fight the charges you face, contact an experienced Milwaukee DUI attorney at Vanden Heuvel & Dineen, S.C. by filling out the form on this page.